Sunday, October 11, 2009

Hmm Let's Give This a Try

Well, I've been considering starting one of these puppies up for a while. With all the places I've been, people I've met, things I've seen, food I've enjoyed...a blog seemed like the most convenient and appropriate way to record everything. Not sure how diligent I'll be about updating or how long it'll last, but it's worth a shot. So here goes!

I wish there were awesome stories about my day today to update with since most of my days over here have been incredible...but today I'm sick. Like miserably sick :( I've slept 20 of the past 24 hours...fever, chills, cough, sore throat, nausea, achiness, the works. Well, I've had about half a gallon of orange juice today, so hopefully with all the rest and good ol vit C I'll be back to my old self in no time.

I can't say I had nothing to do with the onset of this though. I woke up yesterday feeling pretty terrible, but still went for an amazing hike in the Mourne Mountains! I took a bus with a bunch of people from Queens to Newcastle, then proceeded to attempt to conquer Slieve Donard. The hike was incredibly beautiful, and the view from the top of the first peak was unparalleled. Mountains. Ocean. Rolling Irish fields. After this peak, I started to feel pretty terrible. The cough got worse and I was feeling feverish so Taylor and I headed down on our own while the others proceeded to conquer the tallest peak. I hate that I didn't get the chance to finish, but hopefully there will be another opportunity to try it again before I leave.

We explored Newcastle a little before catching a Bus back to Belfast. We found a small oceanside cafe called the Seasalt Bistro. Taylor got a mushroom, cheese, and tomato relish panini, and I got a celery and chorizo soup, both with tea to drink. It was a perfect chilly day post hike meal :)



After that we found an awesome beer store downtown. The selection of beers was ridiculous, most of them were weird ones that I had never heard of in my life. The Skull Splitter was my personal favorite, and I picked up a bottle to bring home.

I'm not getting homesick in the least yet, however I am missing certain people and the fact that I'm missing New England autumn. I would also pay big bucks to get Bode shipped over here for this flu business. I've officially been here a month on Wednesday. So much has happened, who knows what the next two have in store.

Well, thats all for now! I'll probably go to sleep again in a few and hopefully not wake up until tomorrow when I have to go to class.

I'd call update #1 a success. Peace :)

No comments:

Post a Comment